priory

A History of Chesterfield Grammar School

by Philip Riden


A grammar school was founded in Chesterfield in about 1598, thanks to a benefaction by Sir Godfrey Foljambe of Walton. It enjoyed a period of particular renown during the headship of William Burrow (1722–52), when a large number of pupils went on to Cambridge. It later declined and closed completely in 1832. Reopened in 1847, the school gradually expanded and modernised its curriculum. It remained independent until 1940, when it was transferred to Derbyshire county council. Between then and its closure in 1991 Chesterfield was the largest secondary school in Derbyshire, with an outstanding academic and sporting record. It moved in 1967 from its Victorian buildings on Sheffield Road to Brookside, where the governors had acquired playing fields in 1928.

The book discusses the whole of the school’s long history, and also both the evidence for a school in medieval Chesterfield and the fate of secondary education in the town since 1991. Unlike many such histories, the scope is intentionally broad. The book should appeal not merely to former pupils but to anyone interested in the history of Chesterfield or secondary education.


browse alphabeticallyarrow

browse industrial historyarrow

cover

Hardback. 700 pages. 20 black and white illustrations.

ISBN 978 1 898937 80 7
£35.00